Our Online Home

About Images & Files

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

About Images & Files

Post by Admin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 am

As I state elsewhere, this is free software w/ a free host.  So then it's limited - both in the amount of extra features & also image & file space.

As far as avatars go please don't upload them to this site.  We have a gallery full to choose from.  If you don't like what there is to offer you can upload something to photobucket or tinypic or something & link to it.  Or if you prefer using your pic like me you can upload it to gravatar & link to it like me.

If you want to insert an image in a post - like if you're posting a recipe & want to include image of finished product - there's a text editor button that allows you to upload a to free image host which will give you link to post.  Our account there was created when this board was.  I don't know how much space they offer...but whatever it is it's over & above what this host has to offer.  There's also another text editor button that allows you to link to an image already hosted elsewhere like photobucket or tinypic.

Since we have a photo gallery I don't think we should allow attachments too.  Instead you can upload everything elsewhere & link to it here.  I'm pretty sure photobucket, tinypic, imageshack & the like accept all the image file extensions (.bmp, .png, .jpg, .gif & .tif).

Youtube is the place to go for vids.  We don't really need sounds/music.  That leaves us w/ various doc extensions & misc. (.zip, .swf).  You can upload everything (including pics/scanned images) to Google drive - then get a link to share it.  You may have to get an email to do so.  But surely they're not the only place that let's you upload docs for free.

We'll use up the gallery 'til we run out of space.  And if we're this careful yet still run out of space - we'll go from there.

* Post questions about family on appropriate family forum.
    * Post questions about genealogy research on the general discussion forum.
    Thank you, in advance, for your understanding & cooperation.
     flower 
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Re: About Images & Files

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 am

Please also remember, when it comes to images, if you use your pic as an avatar people will see it anywhere you post.  If you post in a more public forum then public will see it.  If you post images in a more public forum then public will see them.  So when it comes to pics of your living relatives you should probably save them for the family forums or the family photo albums. Wink

* Post questions about family on appropriate family forum.
    * Post questions about genealogy research on the general discussion forum.
    Thank you, in advance, for your understanding & cooperation.
     flower 

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm