The LaForce & Family Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The LaForce & Family Community

Our Online Home

For Computer/Internet Newbies

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

For Computer/Internet Newbies Empty For Computer/Internet Newbies

Post by Admin Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 am

I've got a neighbor in his late 50's/early 60's who's never turned a computer on in his life.  Yet when I took him to the pawn shop to get a stereo he came out w/ a laptop instead.  I told him before the purchase & again afterwards that a computer is unlike any other electronic in your house.  You can't just plug it in & click "on" like you can w/ a TV.  You also can't shove something in it & click "play" like you can w/ a VCR or DVD player.  There's A LOT more to it.  So much so that you either have to take classes, buy several books or otherwise be prepared to do a lot of reading.

EVERYTHING has either a manual or help files.  Your computer has a manual - if not in book form then @ least on your computer.  Once you turn it on & get to the operating system, which is what runs the computer, it has help files.  There's various computer software programs you can use to do various projects - they all have help files.  There's also various online software programs (like what "powers" this site) you can use to do various projects - & they have help files or FAQ's.  

There's also the internet.  Go to Google or some other search engine & type in "how do I...." & click search.  You'll find pages of links to answers to your question.  There's online tutorials - both written & video.  And if you still can't find an answer to your question - there's online help forums where you can ask your question & someone will eventually answer it.

Don't understand terms like powered by?  Or search engine?  Or internet discussion forum?  There's also online dictionaries & encyclopedias.

How do I know all this?  I couldn't afford classes or books either.  I also couldn't afford a computer repairman.  I had to teach myself everything I know.  And I had to do it on the job while also trying to do my job.  If I can do it - you can do it.  You just have to want to bad enough.

Evidently my neighbor don't want to bad enough.  He's thinking there's some kind of easy way out & there isn't.  There's either doing what I told him or there's sitting there w/ a fairly expensive paper-weight.

Don't assume just because we're somehow related things will be different for you.  I learned what I had to learn to do the job @ hand.  I didn't study.  I didn't memorize everything.  I'm not a certified teacher & never claimed to be.  And if I was I wouldn't teach people one on one & for free.  I would teach groups & for pay.

As far as this site an admin's job is to build the site.  Install it if required & in this case it wasn't.  Set it up.  Turn on the features.  Add categories & boards.  And make other ppl admins & moderators.  A moderator's job is to read the posts & make sure they follow the guidelines else remove the posts.  It's not our jobs to teach you how to use this software.  There are FAQ's to do that.  There are helpful posts.  There's also a help board where you can post questions & also report any bugs (features that don't work right).  And if you have no interest in reading then don't join this site.

Thank you, in advance, for your understanding & cooperation. Smile

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am