The LaForce & Family Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The LaForce & Family Community

Our Online Home

Find A Grave

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Find A Grave Empty Find A Grave

Post by Admin Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm

After you get into genealogy a while you start to realize we suck when it comes to keeping records.  I'll take what's on the headstone (name spelling/dates) over any other record any time.  Stones can be screwed up too but it's very rare.  And that's what bought me both to the cemeteries & then to Find A Grave.

I like FAG because of the grave location sites they use memorials rather then lists.  The name therefore the "keyword" of the memorial web page is the name of the deceased.  So you could go to Google or some search engine like it, type in the deceased's name, & you'll likely pull up their FAG memorial if they have one.

I also like them because if you don't have a pic of your relative's stone & can't get one - you can request one & a volunteer will get it for you.

I also like them because they're not strictly a grave location site.  You can also add people who were cremated, buried @ sea & pets.

What I don't like about FAG is some of the other members.  There are some sites you can join & learn the software by pushing buttons.  FAG is not one of them.  Too many ppl mistake it for a personal site or tree when it's not...it's a grave location site that just happens to use memorials rather then lists.

Everybody's welcome to use it for a research tool - that's what it's for.  But when it comes to contributing anything - memorials, pics, flowers/notes or even simply suggesting a correction - you need to have computer, net, online software, online database, data entry & image editing experience.  You need to read/follow the FAQ's & guidelines.  You need to search a few ways so you don't create duplicates - memorials or cemeteries.  You need to proofread/edit.  You need to actually manage the memorials that list you as manager.  And should you make a mess you need to clean it up.

FAG don't just affect you like it would if it was your own profile or blog.  Another contributor & I were just griping about the place.  I can't remember the last time I visited, walked/recorded & photographed a cemetery because I've been too busy helping out perfectly healthy adults & cleaning up other people's messes.  So again if you're not prepared to manage then don't join/add or request management.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Find A Grave Empty Re: Find A Grave

Post by Admin Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:43 pm

PS - I don't own or even manage FAG.  I'm simply one of many members.  If you've got a problem w/ them you need to go to them - either via forum (quicker) or email (slower).

Please don't use my biz or family sites for FAG biz.

If you've got a problem w/ a memorial I added you suggest a correction, request additional info be added, request linkage & request a transfer all the same way.  While looking @ the memorial in question click on the tab edit & the link suggest a correction.  Type your request in the box & click send.  The software will automatically send the manager a message.  For more info, like how long to give manager to handle request or what to do if they don't handle it, read the FAQ's.

My pics & flowers/notes follow the guidelines.  Still if you've got a problem w/ a pic you can contact FAG & if they've got a problem with it they can contact me &/or delete it.

My pic requests include my email address.  Equally if I suggest a correction & hope for a reply I usually include my email address.  If I don't include it that usually means no reply necessary.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm